In the months of winters we love to have hot soups, pot roasts, stews, etc. but most of us usually get confused between a Crockpot and a slow cooker and judge them as the same. However, it’s true that’s a Crockpot is a type of slow cooker but whereas all slow cookers are not crackpots.
There are many identical features of course but there are also some distinct differences that you must know before choosing a cooker for you.
- A genuine Crockpot made up of multiple heating elements. It is present along the walls of the container including the bottom area too.
- From a technical point of view, it is a fully electric heating oven irrespective of any brands. It is made up of porcelain or ceramic pot which is integrated with the crock and mounted with a glass lid on the top to hold the heat and moisture.
- The Crockpot usually comes with two temperature settings, which include a high of 300oF and a low of 200oF. However now a day’s most of the crockpots come with additional warm setting to keep the food warm and also helps in cooking the food slowly. With its surrounding heating technology helps in bringing the food to a safe temperature.
- It uses the technology to directly heat the crock, it utilizes a long lengthy cooking process and a high rate of steam is created in the tightly lidded container which helps in destroying unwanted bacteria, which enhances the food quality and makes the process safe.
- The Crockpot is always proved good for cooking slow tender cuts of meats that need a slow and low cooker.
- A slow cooker is almost similar to a Crockpot. It consists of all the same three components as a Crockpot does which includes glass lid, pot, and heating elements.
- However in the case of the slow cooker, it doesn’t come with any ceramic or porcelain pot like Crockpot, rather it comes with a metal pot.
- The metal pot instead of fitting to the insides of the containers or the crock. The pot simply sits on the base of the heating element. It slows down the efficiency of the cooker as it lacks heat from the sides of the pot and even the temperature not high as compared with a Crockpot.
- The under-mounted hot plate of the pot also equipped with variable heat settings than a Crockpot. This mostly ranges from 1 to 5.
- These two big dissimilarities reduce the heating efficiency and it operates more slowly than a regular Crockpot. However, the heat level is maximum at the bottom of the pot only.
- As the heat plate is only at the bottom of the pot, which brings certain problems along with it like scorching can pose a problem as the heat is being concentrated on the bottom of the pot.
- With stirring at regular intervals as indicated in the recipe for slow cooking meals, this involves lifting of lid. It adds more 20 minutes to your cooking time as the heat escapes when you lift the lid for stirring.
- Moreover, slow cookers are mostly used for preparing soups, stews or other dishes all we need to cut the contents into small pieces. As smaller pieces help the food to attain safe temperatures that will kill most of the bacteria.
- Slow cooker comes with other advantages too like the cooking vessel in the slow cooker is removable. So it can be used on your stovetop or in an oven.
- By removing the pot the heating pad can be used for heating up other foods too.
- It helps you with all preparing multiple dishes without using other appliances, all you need to use extra pots and pans on the same slow cooker. It eases your meal preparing task and ends with a less messy kitchen.
- Seriously you can cook anything in a slow cooker including soup, stews, meatloaf, even bread, and cake too.
The main confusion occurs with every individual while purchasing a cooker. It’s very difficult to differentiate between a slow cooker and a Crockpot style cooker. Being a consumer always check the heating plate in order to distinguish between a slow cooker and a true Crockpot cooker.
Both the type of cooker can perform well when it comes to cooking. It totally depends on your needs and preferences. I hope this comparison helps you to choose the best-suited cooker for your kitchen.